Academic Teams Academic teams at TSMS are offered to any students who seek an academic challenge, personal development, and the benefits of teamwork through mutual support and great sense of accomplishment.
TSMS Academic Teams:
Most teams are established annually and meet after school, before school, weekends or holidays. Students participate in an academic team in addition to their regular courses. Participation in team activities, attendance to regular study sessions, showing positive attitude and support for team members are keystones for student accomplishment and determining factors for coaches to choose and maintain members. Students are responsible to monitor their calendars carefully to avoid scheduling conflicts. TSMS currently offers the following academic teams:
Math OlympiadThe Math Olympiad Enrichment Program is dedicated to bringing challenging mathematics materials to our students.
Science Olympiad Team competition in which students compete in 'events' pertaining to various scientific disciplines.
Geo Bee Geo Bee is an annual geography contest designed to inspire and reward students' curiosity about the world.
Robotics An interdisciplinary branch of engineering & science includes mechanical-electrical engineering and computer science.
Science Fair Competition where contestants present their science project, results in the form of a report, display board, and/or models.
Spelling Bee A spelling bee is a competition in which contestants are asked to spell a broad selection of words, usually with a varying degree of difficulty.
Check out each individual Academic Team/Enrichment Programs for details below.
The Math Olympiad Enrichment Program
The Math Olympiad Enrichment Program is dedicated to bringing challenging mathematics materials to our students. It provides opportunities for students to engage in creative problem-solving math activities. The goals of this program are:
- To stimulate enthusiasm and a love for Mathematics
- To introduce important Mathematical concepts
- To teach major strategies for problem solving
- To develop Mathematical flexibility in solving problems
- To strengthen Mathematical intuition
- To foster Mathematical creativity and ingenuity
- To provide for the satisfaction, joy, and thrill of meeting challenge
Some of the Activities we do in Math Olympiad Program are:
- Weekly Study Sessions
- Saturday Study Hall
- Online Math Competitions v AOPS-Art of Problem Solving v Sumdog- Fun multiplayer games for grades K-8, designed to improve math fact fluency.
- Study Camps
The James S. Rickards Fall Invitational Mathematics Competition: Pre-Algebra, and Algebra 1 divisions
- American Mathematics Con test (AMC8)
- The 2012 Chiles Mini Mu Competition
- Math League
- MathCounts in the Big Bend Region Chapter- the Nation's most competitive math contest